Making a difference while traveling the world

I heart Hong Kong!

Sawadee Ka from Bangkok, Thailand! I arrived yesterday – the second stop of my Asia volunteer trip, but haven’t gotten a chance to write about Hong Kong, so I’d like to tell you about it now and fill you in on Bangkok later. I thought I would’ve had more time to blog while I was in Hong Kong, but I only had two full days there and I spent all my time exploring the city!

My flight from Vancouver to Hong Kong was 13 hours and I barely slept a wink. I was too busy catching up on my movie watching and can now check off Toy Story 3, Little Fockers, The Town and No Strings Attached from my list. I figured I’d fall asleep during one of them, but nope.

I got to my hotel in Hong Kong on the Kowloon side Tuesday night Hong Kong time (that’s 15 hours ahead of California time). It’s called Panda Hotel and this is who greeted me in the hotel lobby when I arrived.

I started my Wednesday at the tour desk. I figured since I was by myself and had a short amount of time there, a tour would allow me to see the most sites, while meeting other people from around the world. So I chose 2 tours – 1 of Hong Kong Island and the other – a night tour.

I met my tour bus outside Harbour City – which is a mall, but so humongous, I can see why it’s called a city – in Tsim Sha Tsui. That’s one of the major shopping destinations in town. It kind of reminded me of Union Square, with all the high end stores – Louis, Dior, Chanel, Fendi, you name it – all there vying for the attention of the mainland Chinese people who go to Hong Kong, just to drop some cash (I’m told they literally pay in cash) on those fancy purses and clothes.

My tour guide was named Jun. Jun is a girl about my age from Hong Kong who’s been leading tours for about 5 years now. She was super friendly and easy to talk to. We then drove to two other hotels to pick up the others – an Argentinian couple and their 20-something-year-old son, an English couple who now live in New Zealand and 3 friends from Germany. All of them, except for the son, were at least in their 60s and made for some good company.

The first stop on Hong Kong Island – Victoria Peak. It’s the one place all my friends who’ve been to HK told me I had to check out, because it has the the best view of the city and the bay, being 500 meters above sea level. Unfortunately, it was drizzling and so gloomy out, the view wasn’t postcard perfect, but it was still beautiful and offered a great perspective of the city. I got a few pics there and we were back on the bus again.

Next, we headed to Aberdeen, a fishing community on the southwest side of the island. Jun told us that since there’s no metro stop in Aberdeen, the cost of living there is the lowest on HK Island. Many homes on the island, especially our way up to the Peak, can cost US $2,000 per square meter! And I thought San Francisco was expensive!

We all got on a boat for a woman to take us around their harbor, which is how they make their living, besides fishing. We rode past many “junk boats” which is what the fishermen use and many live on, as well. I forgot to ask why they’re called junk boats. Some do look kind of “junky”, but I’m no boat expert. We didn’t see many fishermen, but we did see a few dogs on the boats. Jun said many of the fishermen live by themselves on their boats, so they have dogs to keep them company. Ironically, this harbor is also the home of some pretty nice yachts, owned by the rich people on the island. Quite a juxtaposition.

After we got off the boat, we hopped back on the bus and drove to one of those typical tourist traps you often find on a guided tour like this. It was a jewelry factory and one of their people sat us down in a room to give us a schpeel about their designs and different kinds of stones and jewels. I did win a prize, though – a small garnet stone – for knowing that green jade comes from Burma (she had mentioned it in her talk, but my grandma had told me before, too). Then I got suckered into buying the garnet as part of a pendant for US $20, which I figured was more useful than a lone stone and not a bad deal.

After the jewelry factory, we drove past Repulse Bay, the most popular sun bathing beach in town. Jun told us it’s called “Repulse” Bay because it’s where the British fleet repulsed pirates from the bay in 1841. Then we stopped at Stanley Market – a street market with knock offs and souvenirs. I saw a few things that interested me and tried bargaining, only to realize how much I suck at bargaining. I either feel bad and give in when I could’ve probably gone lower or I got way too low and they reject me right away. I bought a gift for Trevor, then we were swept away on the bus one more time.

Since I had my second tour right after, Jun and the bus driver dropped me off to meet the other tour guide, Felix, at another bargain shopper’s paradise, known as the Night Market, which is on the Kowloon side, not the island. Within 10 minutes, I was the owner of 2 knock off purses for only US $36, which I thought was a decent deal.

Felix then rushed me and the 2 others on the night tour off to the bus. The other 2 people were newlyweds about my age from a city near Monterey, Mexico. Hong Kong was their last stop on a 25-day honeymoon around Asia and this was their very last night. They were so friendly and didn’t make me feel like the third wheel at all.

The bus driver took us to the dock for our harbor dinner cruise. The dinner itself was all right, but the highlight was the Symphony of Lights – a show during which the lights on all the skyscrapers around the harbor light up to music, while lasers and spotlights dance across the sky. It was absolutely gorgeous and such a nice night out, too!

So Wednesday ended with me feeling accomplished and more comfortable with getting around the city. That left Thursday for me to galavant however I wanted to. I was initially concerned about wandering around on my own, but it was a cinch! Living in San Francisco has definitely helped prepare me for getting around another metropolitan city – riding metros and buses, weaving in and out of all the other pedestrians and jaywalking across the street. I woke up and opened the curtains to find the sun out, to my surprise. I was kind of bummed, since  it wasn’t out the day before for Victoria Peak, but I figured I’d just go back up today on my own.

To get to Hong Kong Island, I took the Star Ferry from Tsim Sha Tsui to Central (which is like the financial district in San Francisco, where a lot of the expatriates live and work).

On the ferry, I met two girls from Germany – one of them who’s wrapping up a semester abroad in HK. She helped guide me from the ferry stop in the right direction to catch the tram to take me to the Peak. Luckily, there were easy-to-follow signs all around to guide me the rest of the way, so that even I – with no sense of direction – didn’t get lost.

On this day, I got an even higher viewpoint than the day before, since I paid to go up to the terrace. The sun was beating down on us, but it was so worth it to grab photos like this.

Whether gloom or smog, it’s tough to get that perfect shot, but I’m glad I went up the second time. I got to meet some other Americans up there, who helped me take this picture, as well as a group of Australians.

From there, I walked and rode the longest escalator in the world to a neighborhood in Central, called Soho. I LOVE this neighborhood. The narrow, winding streets; the small boutiques; the wide variety of ethnic food. I could see myself living here.

I had to hurry to meet my friend, Pearl Chu, for dinner. Pearl is a friend of my friends, Jamie and James Hoang in San Diego. Jamie and Pearl met while they were studying abroad in Japan 11 years ago. Being from Hong Kong, Pearl wanted to take me to eat some authentic Chinese food. It was my only actual meal in HK, since I’d been eating on the go – and I’m drooling just thinking about it. The best dish was sweet-chili sauce covered prawns. Mmmmmm…

Afterwards, Pearl took me to Lan Kwai Fong, which is the main bar and club scene, especially for expats. On weekends, they close the street off to cars, so that the drunkards have more room to stumble around safely. We went to a hookah lounge, then to a vodka ice bar and – of course – ended the night dancing at a club.

After just 3 hours of sleep, I rushed to pack and hop on the bus to the airport for my next adventure in Bangkok, Thailand!


Comments on: "I heart Hong Kong!" (2)

  1. Jes- sounds like you’re having so much fun already! stay safe & eat well (i know you will!) Fred & i walked by your work on the way to see Hangover 2 & thought of you. Btw, did you decide to bring your macbook or are you at an Internet cafe blogging?

    • Thanks Sharon! Yes, I brought my MacBook after all. I’m not able to use it much while I’m at my homstay in rural Thailand since there’s no internet, but at least I can download my photos and video.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: